Wednesday 19 October 2022

Day 3- Mittagong to Goulburn

Today was always going to be a tough ride and it certainly did not disappoint!
We did 120 kms with 1316 metres of climbing!
The good news was the weather was really good for riding and the roads were quite quiet apart from a short 2 km ride on the Hume freeway!
The route took us through some lovely country from the Southern Highlands through to the Southern Tablelands.
Around Bowral, MossVale and Bundadoon the houses and properties we rode past were quite spectacular!
We stopped for coffee ( and scones for me!) at Moss Vale in an exceptional cafe in the old post office and had lunch in a cafe in Marulan.
The last part of the ride from Marulan to Goulburn was probably the most difficult with a really long climb ahead of a lovely downhill into Goulburn.
The other difficulty was our map route took us through a road that was closed and turned into a tip!
Unfortunately we has to make a backtrack and travel for a short period on the Hume freeway. The noise of the trucks was terrible but the road shoulder was very wide so there was good distance from the trucks and cars!
I was pleased with my riding today after an adjustment to the seat height and courtesy of a good night of sleep!
I must admit not doing longer rides has left me a bit out of shape but by the end of the whole journey I should be back!
At the end of the ride we had a bit of a SNAFU with the motel bookings with the room only having one bed!
We sorted this out by canceling the boot and going to the motel next door 
I am a little annoyed with this as I booked through booking.com with a special request for 2 beds which was ignored by the Carlton Suites motel…. Don’t book them.
Interesting to be in Goulburn which has some family history from my mothers family. Her mother was a Gray and the family were involved in the wool auction business in the early 1900’s. We also had many family holidays in Goulburn visiting family over the early years of my life… interesting fact was Dunc Gray is related to my mother as I said earlier and he won an Olympic gold medal for cycling at the 1932 Olympic Games in Los Angeles. The event was the mens track time trial!
How about that…. And here I am in Goulburn doing a bike ride from Sydney to Melbourne!
All good so far and Lind forward to the ride to Canberra 


Interesting trail along a river near Moss Vale


Coffee at Moss Vale/ Chris is posing for the photo 

No comments:

Post a Comment